Musculoskeletal symptoms account for 132 million physician visits per year. More than one in four Americans has a musculoskeletal impairment costing the U.S. nearly $850 billion yearly. SANUWAVE is currently pursuing research and clinical studies into several orthopedic indications where there is an unmet need for non-invasive, effective treatment.

Acute and Chronic Fracture, Non-Union

In the U.S. alone there are over one million internal fixation procedures performed annually. Most acute long bone fractures are treated with open reduction and internal fixation; however, high-energy fractures such as car accidents or trauma injuries are at risk of poor fracture healing and a high rate of non-union ranging from 10 to 30%. Non-unions often result in additional risks and complications.

Several research studies have suggested that PACE mechanisms of action may result in improved healing for acute and chronic fractures. SANUWAVE will continue to pursue the expansion of understanding of the effects of PACE in these areas.

Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis

Globally, 135 million are diagnosed with arthritis including 32.9 million adults in the U.S. that have osteoarthritis and that number in the U.S. is expected to be 60 million in 2020. Osteoarthritis includes the mechanical break down of cartilage and joint surfaces. Advanced arthritis often requires surgery and joint replacement in 30% of patients. There are 500,000 joint replacements per year in the U.S. costing $15.2 billion per year. Osteoporosis is another growing area of need in the U.S. where 10 million adults have been diagnosed and 34 million more have osteopenia, a precursor to osteoporosis. Osteoporosis fractures alone cost $17 billion annually in the U.S.

SANUWAVE will be looking to partner with researchers to better define what effects PACE has on these conditions.


Tendinopathy, sometimes called chronic tendinitis, tendinosus, chronic tendinopathy or chronic tendon injury, is damage to a tendon at a cellular level. Caused by trauma in the connective tissue in and around the tendon, this condition will lead to pain and decreased ability to use the affected limb.

Treatments of tendinopathies include conservative treatments such as ice, heat, orthotics and cortisone injections. Surgical options will also commonly be considered. Ordinarily 90% of tendinopathies will resolve with these treatments over a course of 3 to 6 months. The other 10% of patients may not resolve through conventional treatment. An average of 20 weeks of job loss and an average of $17,000 per claim are associated with most tendinopathy injuries [1].

Occurrence for Common Tendinopathies in the U.S.

  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • 2 million patients per year
  • Lateral Epicondylitis
  • 1.2 million patients per year
  • Achilles Tendinopathy
  • 230,000 patients per year

SANUWAVE’s technology has been proven safe and effective in stimulating healing in chronic conditions of the foot (plantar fasciitis) and the elbow (lateral epicondylitis) through our U.S. Class III PMA approved Ossatron device and in the European community for the stimulation of bone and chronic tendonitis regeneration in the musculoskeletal environment utilizing Ossatron and orthoPACE.


  1. Tendinopathy Myth vs Magic presented at Health Care Provider Conference, May 2009.

Arthritis, osteoporosis and fracture indications described above are not approved by the FDA in the U.S. This information is being provided as an educational format to base future studies upon.